Monday, December 3, 2018

It's Been Beautiful and Good So Far

Our school year is a bit different this year. For starters, I only have 2 students (our oldest graduated in May). That's kind of nice. We sit at the dining room table together in the mornings and do our school work.

Of course we use various other parts of the house---the computer in the living room, Dad's desk in our bedroom, the 15 year old's bed, the kitchen, etc.

We are using a new-to-us curriculum this year called The Good and the Beautiful for Language Arts. It is single-handedly the best decision I've ever made for our homeschool.


Even though our youngest is in first grade, the placement test put her squarely in level K. (Their website says their levels don't follow traditional grades) It has been just perfect for her. The above picture was her reaction when I told her it was time to begin reading THE BIG READER. Up until now she's been reading little stapled together mini books. She was so excited about the big reader. And is reading it beautifully.


She's using Level K for math as well. It's been pretty easy for her but I feel like it is laying a very solid foundation in math. This is my 3rd kid and I know very well how important that is.

But it's really, really working well for our 15 year old. I used the placement test on her as well and the level it put her in has been great. I mean, it's still school, but it's not that bad. They even kind of enjoy it.


For the first time in a really long time, I feel like school is not taking up all of my time. When the older girls were little, it seemed like all we did was school--either planning, preparing, or implementing plans. Maybe it was the curriculum we were using. TGTB is much more user friendly and ready to go. I'm really enjoying that as a teacher.

Or maaaaybe, I'm completely forgetting to do a lot of really important things this year. Why does it feel so easy? Perhaps those 12 years of homeschooling and 11 years of teaching public school have paid off?


Whatever. I'll take it.

Good. Beautiful. And easy.

Signing off,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Questions? Want to Sing My Praises? I'd love to hear from you!

In Which We Have to Get Healthy

But first an update. I promised one. We DID, in fact, get the youngest's room under control. All toys are now on the shelves in her clos...