Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Simplicity and Bandages

Second-born daughter is reading a book about an Amish family in school. She's been reading it out loud to me. She didn't know much of anything about the Amish so we've had a lot of learning.

This particular story takes place in modern times. I forgot that as she was reading. As the story was describing a typical Sunday afternoon for this Amish family and their friends, I felt that we were reading a book set in the 1800s. Then an airplane crashed onto their property and I was brought back to reality.

It had been such a nice Sunday afternoon in the book, too. Our Sunday afternoons are filled with work and computers and iPads. Last week I instituted a "no screen Sunday" for the youngest two daughters. They happily filled their day with other things and I was very pleased.


Today's portion of the book talked about the Farmer's Almanac. I know you can just look at the almanac online, but the books are very neat to look through. So, since we were already out running errands, I swung into the feed store to get an almanac--or at least look at one.

They didn't have any. I was very disappointed.

My oldest daughter has always loved the look of Amish furniture. We found that out when they were younger. There was a book at the library about dollhouses they used to love to check out. My second-born loved the pictures of the Victorian dollhouses--"rich" houses, she called them. Oldest said she really didn't like all that fanciness. So I showed her Amish furniture. Yep. That was more her style. And a lovely quilt on the bed. They are so different.


We could stand a little more simplicity here at Project: Family. Today I was out in the dreaded garage trying to wrestle the shop vac into the house and I stepped on a scooter. I have two holes in my foot now that resemble a very wide-mouthed snake bite, and bandages.

September is coming, garage. It might not look like an Amish barn in there when we get done, but at least stuff won't be biting my foot when I walk.

Signing off,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Questions? Want to Sing My Praises? I'd love to hear from you!

In Which We Have to Get Healthy

But first an update. I promised one. We DID, in fact, get the youngest's room under control. All toys are now on the shelves in her clos...